Friday, October 1, 2010

Picks of the Week: September 27th-Sept 30th

This week in review: how the tables turn! We've had a bunch of developments in all four shows that I watch since this time last week. Some positive, others...less so. Let's get straight into it.

Glee:
Ok, this week's award for last place actually goes to Glee. I'm kinda shocked actually, given all the hype that the “Brittany” episode was given, that this one fared so poorly on the chart. However, watching the episode, I thought there was only one redeeming quality about the whole thing.

Well, two, if you count some of the really sexy-awesome (and I emphasize both the sexy and the awesome there.) dance moves from Brittany (the show one, not the super-celebrity one.)

The scene I'm referring to happens right at the end of the episode, between Quinn, Rachel, and Finn. I'm sure you remember it. I think that, so far, it's been one of the best portrayals of solid character that we've had so far. It's a shame that it stands in such stark contrast to the rest of the episode.

Brittany's in! Everyone needs to be expressive and go with what they feel, and be loose! Like John Stamos! Schu, stop being so uptight (since when?) and loosen up by having a CRAZY midlife-crisis for half an episode. You can do anything, even be on the football team in a wheelchair battering ram.

Ok, so I know this show is ridiculous, but that doesn't give them a free pass on everything. Overall, I just thought that this episode was remarkably out of character for everyone involved, and the pep rally might've been cool, if they hadn't had some idiots screaming through half of it.

Thumbs down, Glee, sorry.

Castle:
Castle this week was a good middle of the road show. The episode didn't massively impress me, but neither did I really have much to complain about. The psychic angle was interesting, and like a previous episode of Bones, they never really addressed the whole 'Psychics are real' thing. (Bones did it with Voodoo, which was a phenomenal episode). The episode made me smile at the end, with the Alexander reveal. It wasn't overstated, but it did a good job getting the message across.

Though I have a lingering suspicion that Castle may have paid the girl to say that. Doesn't seem out of character for him, does it?

Bones:

This episode was much better than last week's. Not only was the mystery actually somewhat engaging this week (always a plus), but they actually started to use some of those plots. Bringing Booth's girlfriend into the series as a permanent character makes for an interesting twist, and actually making their relationship into something more of a formality helps to cement it as more than just a gimmick.

I actually enjoyed Hannah's performance in this episode. I'm looking forward to seeing her in the future episodes this season. Even if their breakup is inevitable, it'll be interesting to see how we get from here to there. Hodgins and Angela remain to be the hysterical couple of the show, and I wish they got just a hair more time in every episode. Altogether, much better than last week's performances, and I'm back on board with actually watching this show.

House:

House hit it out of the park for the second week in a row. I'm loving this season even more the more I see of it. All the characterizations have been spot on, and while I wasn't hugely on board with the patient this week (that plot, at least, was pretty standard), I did love the clinic patients this week. They were hysterical. The meat of the episode though, was the continuation of The Relationship (which yes, is distinctive enough to merit capital letters). First day in the office, so all the obvious jokes were made, and it also made up the meat of the episode's actual plot. House and Cuddy are struggling to come to terms with the changes that the stress of this relationship are putting on both of them. Ultimately, I think that we had a good answer that they came up with – be honest and angry so that neither changes for the other.

Might be a little cynical, but this show has made it's mark through it. I approve wholeheartedly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment