Friday, October 15, 2010

Picks of the Week: October 15th

House:
This week, I think that House faltered a little bit. We took a step back from the House/Cuddy relationship – which I think was a good choice, because we don't want to overload on it. However, they replaced it with a whole boatload of Chase issues. Now, Chase used to be one of my favorite characters, but he's honestly been wearing on me as of late, so I'm not terribly pleased by this.
Now, that would be one thing. I can get past an episode that's basically just about a character that I don't want to watch. However, we have the added frown that the majority of the episode is House and Foreman playing 'Kick the Puppy' with the new girl. It just sat poorly with me. I know that Chase shouldn't have hired her, and I got that, but we don't need to keep hammering on her over and over again. Overall, the episode served largely to introduce her, but all I know is that she's going to need a drastic turnaround if she's even planning on being a long-term staple.

Caprica:
A fairly middle of the road episode tonight. Nothing spectacular storywise, with a plot focusing around the natural developments with the STO that we set up the week before. In fact, everything about this episode reeked of “and then this obvious thing happened.” I think that the writers should've focused a little more on Zoe's plot – because that's clearly the trump card for the series, and the most interesting part (for me at least. Your mileage may vary.)
A necessary episode, but not one I particularly enjoyed.

Bones:
While Bones is still far from it's best, it's improved this week back up to it's usual standard. The clever Bill Nye reference kept me smiling for most of the episode, but Bones is still being even more wooden than she normally is, and it's starting to grate on me. I think it was a good choice to take a break from Booth, and Sweets did a phenomenal job this week - especially in the one scene where he really got to take the spotlight. We should see that side of him more often.
Overall though, I want to see more from them. I know this show can be better, and I want to see it do so, but it's not quite there yet.

Castle:
It finally feels like we're back to the Castle that I'm used to. We have a nearly nonsensical premise, some latent sexual tension, and a general good time. I was nervous when I heard that they were going to do a Steampunk episode, because there's so much that could go wrong with it, but in the end, they did a solid portrayal.
It was hardly the most solid episode of television ever. I didn't find myself laughing aloud as much as I would have hoped, but I enjoyed myself the whole way through.

Glee:
I loved this episode. The plotlines were all relevant to the characters, we actually got to hear some of the 'extra' members sing (like Other Asian), and introduced Sam in a real way. (What happened to that little Asian chick, by the way? Can we get her back? She was kinda cool.) Even though we didn't see much of some of the other great characters – like Puck or Sue – the episode stood extremely well on it's own.
Plus, I'll admit that I'm a HUGE shipper of Sam and Quinn. I love this couple. I want to watch it every week. I want to watch nothing but it. I think that it was done in a really interesting manner that was entirely believable from Quinn's point of view. I honestly think that she's underutilized, and is probably the best actor on the show. I'm happy that she'll be getting more screen time, from the look of it. Thumbs up all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment