Friday, October 29, 2010

Picks of the Week: Oct 25-29

 This week's Picks were interesting. Castle wasn't quite what I expected, Glee was something I wasn't looking forward to, and Caprica got cancelled before I could see the episode, so I went in knowing that this was the last hurrah. Without House and Bones, this post looks odd and awkward, but overall, I'm sure that we'll see them back soon.

Missing Out:
Still no Bones or House this week. I'm told they'll be returning during November, and I'm looking forward to one of those a lot, and one of those a bit. We'll see how they shape up.

Glee:
I expected Glee to be on the lower end of the spectrum this week, not because the episode was going to be bad, but because I've never seen Rocky Horror. I wasn't terribly off the ball with that, because a lot of what everyone loves about that music is missing. I don't even know what the original sounded like (one of my problems with all of Rachel and Kurt's songs. I don't know musicals terribly much.)
Nevertheless, the plot of the episode was solid. Stamos is still kicking ass, and I think that all the characters were scripted fairly well this time. No one said anything that struck me as terribly out of character, and while the humor wasn't hysterical (again, might've missed some RHPS-based jokes), I still found myself smiling along a good bit.
Glee didn't hit it out of the park this week, but they didn't strike out either. Not a bad job.

Caprica:
For those of you who missed the announcement, Caprica was canceled and pulled from the lineup on SyFy until later on in the year (Read: After November Sweeps). Because of this, the episode that just aired is the last we'll be hearing from Caprica for an awfully long time. With only five episodes left unaired, we have to address the fact that the show is really not going to wrap everything up in that time.
That said, about this week's episode. I thought that this was actually a remarkably good episode, as far as things go. I'm not going to rate it as a series finale – because it isn't. It is, however, a welcome return to some of the original premises in the series. The Zoe-robot-project takes center stage again, and I actually felt myself sympathizing with Dr. Greystone and Adama. The show has recently been lacking in sympathetic characters at all, so seeing someone I can feel for is a welcome change of pace.

Castle:
This week was incredible. They'd been hyping this one up a little bit (even I saw the advertisements, and I almost never watch television on TV), and the episode really delivered. The story didn't have any huge character revelations, but rather was a culimnation of everything that Castle had become so far, without quite as much humor as usual.
Put simply, this was just a great mystery story. The villains were villainous, the hooks were predictable, but not obvious. The subplot added a little bit of levity to an otherwise very serious episode, and most of all, we got to actually worry about our protagonists for once.
Castle is a show that made it's mark with humor. Casting Nathan Fillian in the lead role almost assured that the audience would be rolling. However, in this episode, he definitely earned his dramatic stripes as well as anyone had.
Well done, Castle

No comments:

Post a Comment